Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Why I'm Running (and Raising) for the Dream Big! 2016 Boston Marathon Team

I love it when my 7 year old looks at me with love in her eyes. But I really love it when I see her look of determination, grit, joy, and power when she is running towards a finish line, or when another girl or boy (or two or three) stand between her and a soccer goal. I know I would never let anything stand in the way of her discovering and pursuing her passions as an athlete, and I am honored to be part of the Dream Big! Boston Marathon Team, running in April 2016 to help remove barriers for other girls to do the same.

Me and Maya nearing the finish of the 2014 Franklin Park Turkey Trot

Dream Big! works to provide girls from low-income and homeless situations with the equipment, uniforms, athletic footwear, program fees, training expenses, sports opportunities, and supplies they need to participate in sports and physical activities that contribute to their health, education and overall well-being.

Over the past four years Dream Big! has had a direct impact on more than 15,000 girls in need through equipment donations, program scholarships, sports clinics and the Dream Big! Leadership Conferences for middle and high school female athletes.

As you consider what the right level of support may be, here are some examples of how Dream Big! puts donations to work:


  • $50 buys an aspiring soccer play a new pair of cleats
  • $100 enrolls a young dancer or athlete in an 8-week dance or fitness class
  • $200 helps a girl discover freedom and fitness with new bike and helmet
  • $500 helps a promising young athlete take her game to the next level by paying for a week-long summer sports camp
  • $1,000 gives a group of girls the opportunity to challenge each other, work together, and strive as one  - paying for new uniforms, equipment, and training for an entire sports team.

Thank you for your support of Dream Big!

To visit my fundraising page and contribute to my $7,000 goal, visit: bit.ly/DreamBigSLanfer

To learn more, visit: http://www.dream-big.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment